Saturday, October 08, 2005

Text of Personality

It's almost midterm, and my class has been blogging for about a month. I wondered what I would find most striking about my students' blogs: an interactive discussion of ideas; an intellectual use of the linking feature to tap into the resources of the internet; superkewl use of graphics . . .

Of course, there has been plenty of that, but what I have found most earth-shattering is the students' construction of their own identities: their personalities and personal details and trials and tribulations all laid out before me. I do not think I would have ever known about Brandi's mugging or Sonya's father's illness or Nicol's car accident or Christina's girlpower trip to Mexico if I had not assigned my students to write blogs.

For all of the lip service about computers are an impersonalizing force, my students have largely used them to disclose much more than they have in our face to face environments. I want to know why. I'll ask them why. If they read this post, maybe they post a reply. One student started to get at how and why she puts herself out there on her blog. I invite more commentary like this - I am honored, fascinated, stimulated, and encouraged by the student blogs!

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

O.K. I'll put myself out there. I just got home from dinner with my husband and daughter - they went to the store and I came home ahead of them. I decided to call my best friend because she went to see her dad today and he's dying; I wanted to know how it went. I know I started out with genuine concern, but then I caught myself envisioning my friend's reaction to my call - ahh, she's such a good friend... So then I had to question my movtive - was I calling because I was a good friend? Or because I would look good? This really disturbed me and I know it's happened before. Why do I do this??

8:08 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

I think one of the key reasons people are more willing to put themselves out there is because of the anonymity of the web. Now, I recognize that in our class, and in other arenas people will often post using their real names. However, I do not think that this detracts from the anonymity, it's not just that people don't know who I am, but that I blend in with everyone else. Who cares if another voice in the crowd thinks a little bit differently, it's all just part of a multi-million user web.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home